Bringing Kennedy Home

Feelings, thoughts and other tidbits along the way to adopting our daughter from China.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The waiting, the wondering, the uncertain timelines

As summer vacation nears it's end, I feel happy. Happy that my mind will soon be consumed with 20 new little 6-7 year olds. Happy that I will have so much work to do at school in the next month, time will fly by. Happy that I will be back with all my work buddies again, laughing and joking and most of all getting the support that I always get from them. There's no staff like my staff...I am sooooo lucky to work with all the people I do. And so many of my co-workers have young children, I'm so glad I'm soon going to be in that club!

But the waiting, wondering and uncertain timelines is killing me. August has been a crazy month for my brain. If only we knew a date, I would know what to focus on, what to prepare for. You see, I'm gold (a planner, organizer, anal-about-everything type). This does not help me what-so-ever. Will we travel before Christmas? After Christmas? I promised Marvin he'd be a daddy before he turns 40 (January 8), which he will be, because we'll have our referral by then, but how much does he want Kennedy in his arms by then?

Thank you to all those people who have said a kind word, e-mailed me over and over, called on the phone, left comments on the blog, taken me to lunch, listened to me discuss timelines when they didn't understand a word I was saying. You know who you are. I don't want to start naming names, but there are a few people who are helping me maintain my sanity and I will never forget that.

Everyone who has been to China and back say that once Kennedy is in our arms, we will forget the pain of the wait. I can't wait for that feeling. But some days it still feels so far away, even though it's getting so much closer.

Sending this post out especially to my friends Natalie and Shea, who are also so close to getting their babies. We're getting there, we're getting there...

10 Comments:

  • At 10:11 p.m., August 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are getting closer to Kennedy each day! We are thinking of you guys!

     
  • At 8:41 a.m., August 23, 2006, Blogger Red Sand said…

    Timelines. Never thought that word would come to mean so much. You probably don't feel it, but the positive face you share with us reminds me continuously to fight the pessimism I feel bubbling below the surface. So thank you for that. And you're right - the fall will speed by. Nothing like the resumption of routine and overstuffed workloads to make the days pass quickly. I tell myself the key is to get excited when I can and to allow the fretting when I need to. HUGS

     
  • At 10:52 p.m., August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are definitely getting there!!! And you will forget the pain of waiting when you finally hold Kennedy in your arms, even though that is little consolation right now. You will be amazed at how perfectly this little person will fit into your family and your life...

     
  • At 12:08 a.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger Deb said…

    You are so close, it must be getting really exciting! PPFFFT what am I saying I'm excited FOR you guys I can only imagine how you are feeling.....At the risk of sounding 10... it's like Christmas eve and it's taking forever for the morning to come.
    *HUGABUGS*

     
  • At 1:13 a.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger RoLo said…

    Thank goodness for the on-line adoption community. We at least have a place to vent a place to find comfort and a place to seek answers. I too am so grateful all my family friends and colleagues that listen to me day in and day out.

     
  • At 10:52 a.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger J Brant said…

    Ahhh Carolyn...I miss you.You look beautiful in those pictires from the wedding. You are soooo close to Kennedy I can feel it. I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about it!!! You are an inspiration to so many people with your optimistic ways with a healthy dose of realism, cause sometimes it does just suck how long this is taking when we started this journey thinking it would be 8 months from log-in date. I know I feel blessed to have you as my friend and partner in this journey and getting back to school will be great as we peek around our wall that seperates our classroom (no doors in our school) and share a laugh, a tear or a hug. You are a dear friend and I love you. Your kisses to Kennedy will soon be on her sweet face and no longer floating to her on the wind, I just know it!

     
  • At 10:02 p.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger Deb said…

    The CCAA just sent out 9 days worth of referals up to August 22nd so your up next!!!!!!!!!!
    If they do 9 days again your in by a hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hip Hip Horray!!!!!!!
    *HUGABUGS*

     
  • At 10:12 p.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger Deb said…

    Carolyn,
    I am sooooooo sorry! I totally read that wrong I thought it said August and it said July.... talk about excited to disapointment in a flash! don't post this comment or the last one or anyone who reads them will have a heart attack!
    I just got a little over anxious I guess.
    False alarm. :>O
    SOOOOOO SORRY!!! Please forgive me.

     
  • At 12:18 a.m., August 27, 2006, Blogger Shea said…

    I'm so lucky to have you to vent to, especially during the summer. This waiting is so hard, and the days seem long when we're not teaching school. I think I'll welcome the distraction of my 6-year-olds once again! I'm still hoping CCAA surprises us with weeks of referrals instead of days...

    Shea

     
  • At 12:21 a.m., August 27, 2006, Blogger Shea said…

    I'm so lucky to have you to talk, and vent, to. This has been a long summer of waiting. I think I'll actually be ready to go back to teaching my 6-year-olds just to have the distraction! I'm going to keep hoping that CCAA will surprise us with weeks worth of referrals, not just days...

    Shea

     

Post a Comment

<< Home