Bringing Kennedy Home

Feelings, thoughts and other tidbits along the way to adopting our daughter from China.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

On the eve of 9/11

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I will never forget it.
I was teaching grade 7. It was just before recess. The older kids in the school went to the classrooms to supervise the younger kids. All the teachers came into a little room with a T.V. I had no idea what the images on the screen meant. The two buildings were standing. One was on fire. Then, suddenly a plane flew into the second building. Slowly, after listening to the broadcaster, I began to realize what was happening. I could not believe my eyes...

I called Marvin. He was sleeping, as he had worked the night shift before. I called my mother. I felt like I needed to talk to everyone close to me. For me, this was an attack on the world, not just on the people of the United States or New York City. It felt very close to home.

I literally spent the next several weeks, into months, consumed by 9/11. The stories of the victims were so overwhelming. Many people told me to stop watching it because it was just so sad. But I felt like not watching it was like pretending it didn't happen. It seemed that each person deserved to have their story heard.

Now, five years later, I wonder how far we've come...I still feel like there is so much instability in the world...

I heard on T.V. tonight that 3,000 children lost a parent that day. They were interviewing children who say that five years later, their memories of their moms and dads who died that day are starting to fade. That is so sad. Thankfully, many of the children interviewed had worked through their pain and were moving forward in a positive way.

Sending out special thoughts to all the families who lost loved ones on 9/11.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:47 a.m., September 11, 2006, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Wow! I remember it too. My husband called from work to tell me and I turned on the tv just to see the second plane go in. I don't think I moved from the tv all day. It was horrible. My daughter watched me as I cried, she was confused. It was such an awful time. I pray that nothing like that will ever happen again!

    Janet T.

     
  • At 9:17 p.m., September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's hard to ever forget where we were and what we were doing on that day. I think that will be one of those days that will be etched in my mind forever...

     
  • At 5:21 p.m., September 12, 2006, Blogger Dawn and Dale said…

    I spent days/weeks glued to CNN as well. Our oldest would have been 4 and Caden our second youngest was just 6 wks old.

    Chase kept coming into the living room saying.... "Why do you keep rewinding this part???"

    (He thought I was watching a video movie) Bless his heart. He had no idea it was all SO REAL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home