Bringing Kennedy Home

Feelings, thoughts and other tidbits along the way to adopting our daughter from China.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Looking back...

Marvin and I were looking back over some pictures and video from China and came upon this video clip. I don't think I shared it before. I know it's dark, but it captures the moment. This is within the first hour of meeting Kennedy. We walked back from the government office and went directly to our hotel room. You can see that I'm taking her THREE layers of clothes off. Knowing her the way we know her now, we realize how completely terrified she was in that moment. She was scared and didn't have a clue what was happening. It's actually sad for me to look back at the videos from Gotcha because like I said, I know how scared she was. No, she wasn't crying like the other babies, but I think that's the worst part. She was so sad, yet wouldn't let herself cry. The first cry she let out was after I undressed her and Marvin left the room to go and finish the paperwork. She cried so hard that I went looking for him...all she wanted was her daddy. When we found him she calmed down. The first couple of days she was completely glued to daddy.

Looking back over the pictures and video clips makes the trip seem like yesterday...in hindsight, it passed too quickly. Every now and again I like to go back over it in my mind. Marvin and I often talk about different parts of the trip, the people, the experiences. We just want to keep the memories alive...


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

9 Comments:

  • At 10:29 p.m., March 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOVED meeting Kennedy today... she fits right in to your hockey family! She is a lil sweetie. I know you will have many happy years together.

     
  • At 12:19 p.m., March 18, 2007, Blogger Cari said…

    Poor little munchkin! How different she already seems in the more recent posts and videos. You guys are amazing parents!
    Cari

     
  • At 12:59 p.m., March 18, 2007, Blogger Natalie & Daniel Arsenault said…

    your video brings back memories for me too, in those first hours back in the hotel room. It must be so scarey for these little ones. Like I said before, Mei Lin is my hero...these kids have been through more in their first year of life than most of us have been in a lifetime. We are so lucky to have them. You guys are such great parents, and you can see how much she adores you.

     
  • At 5:26 p.m., March 18, 2007, Blogger Monica said…

    Your experience was so different from ours: Claire howled the whole time we undressed her! Despite Kennedy's sadness, that video clip is really beautiful. Your love for her is just so obvious in your gentle voices and touches.

     
  • At 8:58 p.m., March 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember those kinds of moments like it was yesterday. I don't think I will ever forget them, but it is nice to be able to see them on video, as well..

     
  • At 7:48 a.m., March 19, 2007, Blogger Mammarazzi Madness said…

    Breaks your heart, doesn't it ?

    It's so good that she is now home with her Mommy and Daddy.

    She looks sooooooo happy now!

    Andrea

     
  • At 9:29 a.m., March 19, 2007, Blogger The Carmodys said…

    Isn't technology great? What an awesome keepsake to have video like that. It's great to look back and see how far our girls have come in just six weeks eh?

    k

     
  • At 12:52 p.m., March 19, 2007, Blogger Rae said…

    What an amazing day that was...we're all so incredibly lucky.
    Kennedy is obviously very much loved!

     
  • At 7:46 p.m., March 21, 2007, Blogger J Brant said…

    Wow...it is amazing how you look back on that video and see now what her personality is like just like you said today. See is such a sweetie.
    Love,
    Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home